Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Elise

Oh, I haven't written anything in days. Well, a lot has happened. Well let me begin with Why we chose Elise. Elise means " an oath or promise or vow to God". It can also mean consecrated to God. The name Elise just came to me one day. It was like a revelation from God. I was so bitter about not getting pregnant early enough that while in a conversation with God one day, the name just came to me. And I said to God, if you give us a little girl , we will name her Elise. I quickly went upstairs and looked up the meaning. I loved the way it sounded and the meaning of it. James and I had been discussing names even before we got pregnant and could not agree with one yet. When I mentioned Elise to him...he fell in love with it too. I had only heard of one person called Elise...Kimberly Elise...she is and actress but Elise is her last name. I recently met another person called Elise and I work with her. Well we cannot wait to meet our Elise. We love her to death. We also wanted to give her a local and native Ghanaian name. James and I both believe in making sure our children know and are part of both of our cultures. James really wants to name her Adwoa, or Afua, or Ekua which are all names that are derived from the day a child is born in Ghana. So Elise will have one of those names depending on which day of the week she is born. I wanted more than just that and wanted a unique native name. I could not choose any other than " Ahenfoah" which means Royalty. That is my beloved mother's name. So now we have both agreed on those....unless we change our minds.

4 comments:

  1. OMG...I love that name! Audrey, I am so excited you started the blog! Puts a smile on ma face just reading about your expeience! Your love and gratitude is shining through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audrey -- That's my middle name! It's a name we've had in my family for over 10 generations. I love the name :-) Congratulations to you and James!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks maxine. And Meg i never knew your middle name was Elise...well, great name you have there...how is Rapheal?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elise is such a beautiful name.

    ReplyDelete